Lockdown continues to put a strain on UK broadband
Multiple households continue to struggle with slow broadband connections as the UK maintains lockdown procedures, with many families at home using multiple applications and streaming services at once. According to the BBC, MP Julie Elliott recently made a plea via video conference for a faster roll-out of fibre broadband for her Sunderland constituents, only to be interrupted by a connection failure in her own broadband.
Unfortunately, many households are having to wait for an upgrade as numerous network providers are prioritising the vulnerable and essential workers including the NHS. Virgin Media appears to have taken a larger hit, with multiple reports of the network going offline for tens of thousands of users in the lead-up to peak times. According to Sky News, on Monday 27th April, there were more than 42,000 reports of the outage at 07:20pm before reducing to 1,577 reports by 08:30pm. A Virgin Media spokesperson advised that this may have been caused by a network technical fault rather than increased usage, however.
Useful tips to increase your internet speeds
- Your WiFi router may need room to breathe. Ensure that your device is placed in a location clear of objects or blockages of any kind. If your router is tucked away in a drawer or on a shelf surrounded by clutter, this may block the signal and reduce speeds.
- Where possible, connect your devices using an Ethernet cable instead of using the WiFi. This could increase your speeds dramatically by creating a direct connection route to your device.
- Avoid using your microwave whilst engaging in video calls or applications that require high connectivity. According to media regulator, Ofcom, microwaves can affect your internet speeds if used simultaneously with your WiFi.
- Check the internet speeds in different areas of your house. There may be a slightly better location to store your router and setup your home office.
- Consider a Telecoms World 4G SIM enabled router for instant access to connectivity of up to 50mbps. Our ‘Office in a Box’ solution offers rapid deployment of service and router (within 5 days), choice of data packages from 50GB up to 400GB and instant resilience.
Get an instant, super-fast connection today by visiting our ‘Office in a Box’ web page.
Alternatively, use our Contact Form to get in touch with one of our experts.
Or, give us a call on 0800 774 7772.